There are three key philosophies that all members of the Order of Valian must embody: the Life of the Spirit, the Life of the Flesh, and the Sanctity of Life.
The Life of the SpiritEdit
Daily Prayer, meditation, doing works of the Spirit and growing in spiritual gifts are the allies and spiritual weapons of the paladin. It is through a growing and intimate relationship with Bahamut that their spiritual life strengthens. Derived works: poverty, suffering, humility.
The Life of the FleshEdit
The order of Valian emphasises both physical and spiritual works, training in the use of martial skills to emphasise strength and bodily conditioning. Just as they grow in the spirit, their constant training and experience helps them to grow stronger physically to better themselves to help others.
The Sanctity of LifeEdit
Just as they utilise aspects of both the spirit and the body, the order of Valian recognises the harmony of the body and soul. It is when they act together, in harmony as one that their lives are fulfilled. When it comes to themselves, they seek to better themselves for their own sake by learning about the world, and by constantly training to become stronger. When it comes to others, they respect the miracle that is life. To kill unjustly is one of the greatest offences to the order. They respect life, for it is a gift.
- You shall love your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul.
- You shall love your neighbour as yourself
Tenets of ValianEdit
- Courtesy: Do unto others as they would do unto you.
- Integrity: His conscience is the paladin's most secret core and his sanctuary. There, he is alone with God, whose voice echoes in the depths of the paladin's soul.
- Perseverance: Patience leads to virtue, merit, and victory over one's foes.
- Self Control: The one who is stronger is the one who can control himself best.
- Indomitable Spirit: It is an act of cowardice to fail to speak out against injustice.
The Order is comprised of two types of Paladins: the Paladin of Vengeance, and the Paladin of Protection. From the first stage of a paladin's training, although there is some degree of overlap in their functions, each paladin specializes in one of these two areas.
Philosophically, there is digression in application of the tenets between a Paladin of Vengeance and a Paladin of Protection. However, both types of paladins keep the same core commandments and philosophies. The difference, then, is in how each type applies those teachings in their lives.